Monday, 6 February 2012

1 of 12


First of the twelve, 2012: the "man boots", aka the Beat Cassadys by John Fluevog. I've had my eye on these shoes for a long, long time. Chris got them in olive green way back when, and he's been raving about them ever since. I waited and waited for the black ones to go on sale, and worried about the men's sizing (they are not unisex). Well, it turns out that men's 7 fits me perfectly, and with the price having dropped from $235 to $119, I can't complain.

The boots are actually a present from Chris, but I am still counting them as one of the twelve items of clothing I'm allowing myself to buy this year. After all, I chose them, and I would have bought them if Chris hadn't. To not count them in would have been cheating.

I feel pretty good about having accumulated just one new thing so far. There are a few things I'm actively looking for currently - more about that another day - but so far I haven't been tempted to go thrifting too much. I am still savouring the idea of the twelve pieces, and I've been successfully shopping my own closet. Case in point: this blouse I am wearing today. It used to belong to my mother, and I saved it from her attic years ago. I came across the blouse last week while looking for a pair of trousers I had stored away in the basement. I had almost forgotten that I had it.

I am wearing my mother's old blouse, a super old cardigan, thrifted jeans and Fluevog Beat Cassadys.

9 comments:

Sunjo said...

That's cool that you found your mom's blouse. I have a shirt my late grandma bought in the '70s and it reminds me so much of her. In fact I can picture her wearing it a lot when I was a kid. I haven't worn it myself in a long time but you've got me feeling inspired.

Terri said...

Sounds like you are doing better than me avoiding the thrifts. Yesterday, for my girls' birthdays, we had a grand shopping spree for THEM primarily, but I did purchase one item for me. I wear a size 7 in men's shoes also. And that blouse is stealing the show.

Shey said...

congratulations Waves! I'm sure you'll be loving those shoes because they are exactly what you wanted. I think you're idea is great, ever since I've been buying new things I have noticed I've thrifted less too, I think it's for two reasons, the first one theft stores have started to be overly hand-picked, it's so hard to find good things at the thrift store now. The other reason is that instead of settling for a second best I am being more careful of buying exactly what I want and if I pay the full price it's usually because I know I really like it and I will wear it all the time. I can't wait to see how you decide on the other 11 things, keep up the great job! =)

Teeny said...

those are cool boots. Taking your lead and starting to siphon off my wardrobe to other friends. it feels good. letting go. and yet not letting go cos i know where they are going to. (some strange attachment issues to my clothes there)

Eline said...

I love the shoes the look comfy and like they'll last a long time. Totally worth the price. And, if I haven't mentioned it before, I love your 12 purchases idea so much. You'll probably end up rediscovering a lot of items. I think that you'll inspire me to abstain from buying crap again but I doubt that I could limit myself from only twelve purchases, sigh.

Carolyn said...

Gorgeous. I just love the double buckle on the side. Very very cool.

Madeline Quaint said...

You know, something that versatile and sturdy is totally worth spending on. You can wear these cool boots years and years. And look cool in them. :)

I like the feminine blouse combined with the masculine shoes!

wardrobeexperience said...

those booties are so awesome....

http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

Eyeliah said...

venGreat first choice, I have 2 pairs of man boots and they are about all I wear. And yes, it easy to lose things when you have piles of clothes (hehe). I recommend, if you start getting antsy not shopping to throw a clothing swap or find a community swap in your area. Free clothes are the best. (Tips here; http://www.stylesymmetry.com/2009/02/08/how-to-host-a-clothing-swap-party/)