Friday, 12 April 2013

The Waves tackles officewear, Part II - Borrowing from the Boys


I have a long torso, long arms and small boobs, so women's off-the-rack blazers never fit me properly. There is always too much room for the chest, the sleeves are too short, and the fitted cut flares out in the wrong place. I can occasionally pull off a women's blazer with rolled-up sleeves, teamed with a high-waisted skirt, but that's about it. That's why most of my blazers are from the men's section. 


I'm lucky that I'm tall and slim, because it means that small men's slim-cut blazers work pretty well on me. No, they are not tailored to perfection, but at least they don't look completely ridiculous on me. The sleeves and the overall length fit me rather well (the sleeves are almost a tad too long), and more often than not, the top button still closes, just the way it's supposed to, according to menswear rules. But does it look like I'm wearing men's clothing?  


I don't think so. It's a matter of teaming up the boys' items with garments that have smooth textures and pretty colors. It's only after you start paying attention to the details - like the side the buttons are on, or the coat tails, that anyone will notice. Not that I'd really care even if it was more obvious. 

6 comments:

jo said...

That's a really nice outfit! The blazer looks good on you and I like the shirt.

Are buttons always placed differently on men's and women's clothing? If so, why - just to be different?

Shey said...

I love men-inspired outfit, unfortunately I haven't found the perfect pair of pants to try it. I have the same problem with my small bust(the only small part in my body), dresses fit me well in the waist and too big on the bust, that's why I always end up turning them into skirts. Since jeans don't fit me I would wear this with a wool pleated skirt and oxford shoes. =)

anne b. said...

well, you say the jacket isn't tailored to perfection, but the first thing I thought when I saw this post was: 'wow, that jacket looks *perfect* on her!' so modern, and so flattering, because it's such a straight cut it strangely (or maybe not so strangely) emphasizes (sp?) your female body. if that isn't a creepy thing to say :)
I like the fabric as well, the mattness of it - the jacket wouldn't be half as great if the fabric was really shiny.

Hippocampe said...

no, it doesn't look like you're wearing men's clothes, it's a really good fit.
Men's clothes don't fit me, but I regularly wear men's shoes, scarves and belts.

coffeeaddict said...

I think the greatest myth of the 20th Century is that off the rack is supposed to fit you right or else there's something wrong with you. As a petite curvy woman I find myself on the opposite spectrum of fitting issues with coats and blazers: everything is too tight and since I've got really short arms, the sleeves are always too long. Going a size up doesn't work either, because the shoulders are too wide then. The solution: aside for having jackets made or altered? None.

Liesl said...

I think it looks like menswear-inspired-women's-wear. And looks great.

And I know what you mean about things being too short. I'm tall with a long torso so waistlines always rest just below my bust.

I really wonder just how many women can buy something, straight off the rack, and have it fit perfectly...